A good way to use up that cucumber that hid away behind the leaves and grew into a giant. Sally adapted the original recipe from our ancient “Menus & Recipes for Vegetarian Cooking” from Sunset Magazine.
- 3 tbs butter
- A cucumber, peeled, seeded (if necessary) and sliced.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 or 3 cm chunks
- 2 cups lettuce leaves, coarsely sliced
- 4 spring onions, including tops, thinly sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup natural yogurt
- Salt + pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs or parsley
Melt the butter in a large pan and sauté the cucumber and potatoes for 4 or 5 minutes, then add the lettuce, spring onions, dill and stock and simmer until the potatoes are done. Purée the soup, and stir in the milk and yogurt. Heat it to the serving temperature, season, and garnish with dill or parsley.