1. Please quote the reference number for the duty or duties you are commenting on.
2. What does this duty help local authorities to achieve?
Provide sufficient number of allotments for those in their area that want one.
3. Does undertaking this duty present local authorities with a burden?
4. In your opinion, could this duty be removed?
5. What are the particular benefits of this duty being removed and who would benefit?
6. What do you consider are the adverse effects of removing this duty and who would this affect?
We could lose many allotments just at a time they have become hugely popular in many sections of the community, and when we are increasingly concerned about the need for more exercise and a healthy diet for individuals, and about food security for the nation.
7. Are you aware of any guidance – statutory or non-statutory – associated regulations or powers that are associated with this duty? If so please list them here.
Non statutory guidance: “Allotments: A plot holders’ guide“.
8. In your opinion are powers and/or guidance helpful or do they create a burden?
The guidance is helpful.
9. Would you like to add any general comments about this particular duty?
Local government allotment provision has functioned well and at very little expense for many years. The benefits to the public are difficult to measure, but must be substantial, and reach beyond allotment holders and their families to the community at large.